Jaggery is also known as Gud in India. In the olden days, it used to be given to guests with water in India. It used to take away all the stress and weakness of travel. Jaggery is made from sugarcane juice or date palm sap. Jaggery is very nutritional food compare to sugar as it contains calcium, phosphorus, iron and other minerals. A lot of families use jaggery as a sweetening agent while preparing food. Jaggery is not just an adult’s food but it has proven good on babies too.
Let’s discover a few health benefits of Jaggery for babies:
- Strengthens Bones: Strong and healthy bones demand phosphorus and calcium which is found in Jaggery. Making your baby eat Jaggery always makes babies bones strong.
- Woks on baby’s cold, cough and flu – Babies are very sensitive and prone to face flu, cough, and cold. Here Jaggery does wonder. Jaggery mixed in warm water gives immediate relief on this and makes the baby comfortable.
- Works like immunity booster – Jaggery’s antioxidant qualities like selenium, calcium, zinc, and magnesium become baby’s savior and make babies very healthy and immune free.
- Fight with Anaemia – The rich source of iron in Jaggery prevents the risk of anemia in babies.
- Prevents Constipation: To make bowel moments regular in babies, it’s better to have Jaggery. This activates digestive enzymes in the stomach and makes the digestion process easy for babies.
As you can see Jaggery has tons of health benefits but again before giving anything to your baby, it’s always better to speak to your pediatrician. It’s possible that it might not suit your baby. Also, if your baby is more than 1 year old then only you can give this otherwise it’s not recommended to give the babies below 1-year-old.